Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I get to choose who ‘I’ am

Isn’t that wonderful! ‘I’ could be anyone under the sun! I get to chose my name, my nationality, my appearance, my traits, my family, my profession…………‘I’ could be anybody! And, the world… the world…looks at me (and everything else) through my very own eyes! In short, I script my life! (quite literally)

Yup, I’m a writer who uses narrative style of writing. ‘I’ could a little girl in ‘To kill a Mocking Bird’, ‘I’ could be an ungrateful friend in ‘Kite Runner’, ‘I’ could be a telepath (with a dripping nose) in ‘Midnight Children’….. ‘I’could just be anybody!

I (as in I, Nithya) have always been fascinated by the power of writing – the power to penetrate the minds of the readers and tell the world my story. But to get to choose who ‘I’ am is akin to playing God.

And, now on to the ‘I’s of the world of literature. The ‘I’s normally get to play the ‘bad’, the ‘weak’ and the ‘less than perfects’. The ‘I’s generally avoid the ‘greatest’, the strongest’ or the ‘best’. And, this according to me is a very sound strategy. The ‘I’s are normally placed along side the central character. This makes the contrast apparent and tends to magnify the heroics of the latter.

If I claim to be the greatest – chances are that you may not be believe me. And, the more I try to drive my point, the greater would be your resistance. But I claim someone else to be the greatest, and as a display of my sincerity, take you through my thoughts, there is a very high chance that you would be convinced. And, my success as a writer (‘I’ play a writer here! Yes!) depends on my convincing powers – my ability to make the world see what I want them to see.
Irony and satire are other effective tools that writers use (‘I’ am a reader, here).

It should be really exciting to try some of these styles

3 comments:

Rishav said...

"But I claim someone else to be the greatest, and as a display of my sincerity, take you through my thoughts, there is a very high chance that you would be convinced."

aah c'mon...its a common fact..

Nithya said...

yup! A common fact to support d central idea.

sowpar said...

catching up with your blog after some gap, kk...
interesting line of thought...what u say is true, often the narrator is less than perfect...when someone says 'I did this,accomplished that',etc...its often considered blowing own trumpet..., and wouldnt sustain the reader's interest...
so i guess the I never becomes the central character...if it does,it is a non - perfect one...